5 Harmful and Unhealthy Foods That You Should Throw Out Right Away

A food item is nutritious and healthy to eat as long as it is fresh and does not turn toxic. Once it turns bad, it is best to junk them. Check out here the foods to throw out of your house.

4 years ago
5 Harmful and Unhealthy Foods That You Should Throw Out Right Away

As we all know that food is supposed to provide proper nutrition and contribute to our good health and well-being. But when that’s not the case when the food becomes poisonous and doesn’t happen to be wholesome anymore. 

You may have heard that he or she got food poisoning. But do you know how or why that happens? Well, foods can turn harmful, toxic, and unfit for consumption over a period or when they are under certain conditions. You may never know, but your meal or a food item kept inside the fridge can harm your health. 

And for instance, when food is left at a specific temperature like one that’s lower than the temperature needed to keep food hot—the staph bacteria grow and result in a poison (toxin) that conventional cooking can’t kill. Also, some foods have a weird and putrid smell or have some unnatural growth that could be harmful to health.

So you need to know about some deadly facts about these foods. Let’s begin!

1. Potatoes with a Green Tinge & Grown Sprouts

Source = Espreso

Well, potatoes with grown sprouts or green tinge taste bitter and are dangerous for your health. So if spud changes to green, it is best to throw it away. Even if you see any green spot on your potato wafers, do not eat it else you might experience issues with your nervous system.

Consuming more than one such spoiled or green potatoes poses a risk for toxicity from solanine and chaconine- the two natural toxins. The green skin of a potato is usually caused when the potato is exposed to light (sunlight, fluorescent light, spots, etc.). The chlorophyll in sunlight converts the potato skin to green and produce solanine, which can prove toxic if ingested in high quantities. 

It is recommended to always throw away the sprouts and remove the green part to make them safe to eat. 

2. Discolored Eggs or Undivided Egg & Yolk

Source = Ert

It poses a health risk if you consume eggs in which the white egg and yolk are not divided. And when there are spoiled eggs, they smell foul & the yolk and egg white may become discolored. 

Also, the inside of eggs might appear normal but can contain a germ called Salmonella that can make you fall ill, especially if they’re eaten raw or are not well-cooked. And the Salmonella infection can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and fever.

So always ensure that the eggs are handled properly and cooked well for safe consumption.

3. Moldy Bread

Source = Scoop

Moldy bread is also hazardous for health and can cause food poisoning. And if you try to you remove the mold and eat the remaining part of bread, then it can produce cancer cells inside your body. And burnt bread or toast is associated with a carcinogenic chemical ‘acrylamide.’ 

You may not die from eating moldy bread and would digest it like any other food if you've got a relatively healthy immune system, but you might experience some nausea or vomiting because of the taste or realization of what you consumed.

When you see signs of mold or white, black, blue, or green spots on the bread, it means it is spoiled and should be thrown. Also, if your store-bought bread smells sour (like vinegar), yeasty, or alcohol-like, discard it. 

Besides that, mishandling of bread, staph contamination, and the undercooked dough can cause bread to go bad. Eating spoiled bread can cause nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. 

4. Sliced Raw Onions Kept in Fridge

Source = Fimela

The sliced raw onions attract bacteria and must not be stored in the fridge, even for short intervals. So it’s best to avoid long-kept raw onions, especially if you have a weak immune system. 

Moreover, people allergic to onions would identify it to be a dangerous substance and can have uncomfortable to potentially life-threatening.

5. Burnt or Smelly Popcorn

Source = Tkm

If your popcorn, dry food, or granola smells bad or is burnt, get rid of it. The National Cancer Institute suggests that eating food that is overcooked beyond 248° F, including popcorn, can be unhealthy. 

And as we mentioned earlier, overly cooked and burned food could form a probable human carcinogen called acrylamide.

On the other hand, popcorn, when cooked properly, is one such food that can have positive effects on your brain as it is rich in several minerals. It is considered one of the world’s healthiest and most popular foods.

Concluding Thoughts

That’s how non-poisonous foods can also prove unhealthy in certain conditions and even kill you. You need to be careful about the eatables you consume! 

And if at all you find that there’s a strange smell or unnatural infestation in any food item, then immediately throw it away. Also, you must clean the different areas of your kitchen every week. 

So stay cautious, eat healthily, and be happy!

Comment

Popular Posts